Tips for Effective Project Management – Monitoring and Controlling Projects
Tips For Effective Project Management – Monitoring and Controlling Projects
Once project is planned well, the best thing project manager can hope for, is: deliver project on time, within budget. But in this real world, things don’t happen automatically. You have to put in efforts and make things happen. That’s where project monitoring and project control come into play. Project monitoring enables stakeholders to clearly know if things are progressing as expected or not. Based on project monitored information project managers, executives to make decisions about projects – whether to add more resources, request extension, add budget, billing, etc.
By the way, project monitoring and project controlling are two different things. But for both of these important aspects of effectively managing projects, organisation should set key performance indicators KPIs for project manager, projects and team, department as well. As they say,
If you want to know whether project has been successful, you must set success parameters, KPIs at every stage of projects so that you can get early warning indicator and act swiftly to get things done rightly. There is no better way to monitor project than using project management tools. Using Excel or MS Project to track project is no longer any right or productive approach.
Now the part of ‘acting swiftly’ mentioned above in other words called project controlling. Project controlling involves various aspects such as
- Scope Verification and Change Control
- Schedule Control
- Cost Control
- Quality Control
- Risk Control
- Incident Control
- Performance Reporting
- Contract Control
Take look at few pointers the infographics below to effectively manage project by monitoring and controlling it.
Do check next tip about project closure and review.
If you haven’t been using PM tool yet and looking for a project management software, refer this guide to select the right project management tool for your team. You can as well refer this list of best project management software available in the market.
Do check following posts in this series.
- Effective project management with clarity of project scope
- Effective project management with holistic planning – schedule, cost, staff, risks
- Effective project management with clear, frequent Project communication
- Effective project management using project management tool
- Effective project management with regular project monitoring & control
- Effective project management – deliver, close & review project
- Effective project management tips summary
Additional readings about project management, leadership
- Case Study: What Happens When Project Team Has Dual Reporting
- Avoid These 10 Most Common Mistakes That Leads to Project Failure
- Back2Basics: Ultimate Project Management Guide: Project Planning
- 8 Reasons to Decide Whether Your Organization Needs Project Management Office
- Compare the best project management software
- All in one project management software
Your life can be become easier with the right project management system. ZilicusPM is the right PM tool for you and your team. Get started now.
- Gantt Chart
- Time Tracking
- Budgeting and Cost Management
- Resource Planning and Management
- Issue Tracking
- Risk Management
- Change Management
- Meeting Management
- Stakeholder Management
- Project Portfolio Management
- Project Reporting
- Document Management to help you manage and deliver projects better?
Zilicus offers All-In-One online project management software ZilicusPM that provides complete project management control for project and portfolio managers; at the same time makes it really simple for project team members to stay on top of things. If you have been managing projects with conventional spreadsheet/ Microsoft Excel templates or MS Project or emails, it is the right time to start using online project portfolio management software. ZilicusPM is great platform for better project collaboration. Take a screenshot tour of project management software ZilicusPM and Sign up for 30-days free trial of project management software ZilicusPM