Project Management Guide – Basics of Project Planning
Project management has been quite enriching career for many project management experts. And interestingly, many of them believe they became project manager by accident. But today, quite a few under-graduates, post graduate and industry professionals are making the choice consciously to become a project manager or project management professionals.
So, what does it take to be the project manager: someone will think in in terms of passion-calling, salary, academic background or career progression or someone even think about project management software. But before you jump in for any conclusion, let’s try to understand what all activities a project manager performs. Project management is like a huge canvas, but let me present a basic guide for a beginner to understand project management and project planning.
Please click on the links underneath this image as you hover the mouse and navigate to respective area of project planning
Project Planning Overview
Project Scope Planning
Project Schedule Planning
Project Resource Planning
Project Cost Planning
Project Risk Planning
Project Quality Planning
As You Start Planning or Managing Project
- As you start managing projects, you need to understand goals and objectives before taking up a project
- You also need to set and manage expectations of project sponsors, customers and other stakeholders
- Project managers also need to set a clear understanding of expectations from project team members
- Developing a high level project deliverable timeline as well as detailed schedule (Gantt Chart, Agile/Kanban)
- Set a project budget and estimate the cost of project
- Identifying right resources to carry out project activities
- Establishing and enabling a common platform for identification and addressing project issues and project risks
- Set a process to submit, evaluate and approve project change requests
- Controlling project during its execution and concluding it for completion
As you see look at above list, you realize, a lot of work goes into project even before kicking it off. That’s where the project planner, project manager have to do solid homework or call it drawing room work.
For planning and managing projects, there are various documents project manager has to consider, refer, prepare, share and update such as
- Project charter that establishes
- Project goals,
- Background and
- Project scope document or project requirement document
- List of project deliverables
- Project Constraints/assumptions
- Exclusion list of requirements/deliverables
- Project Schedule
- Task Schedule
- Project cost plan
- Estimated cost
- Actual cost tracking mechanism
- Resource management plan
- Other supporting plans
The key to a successful project is in the planning. Creating a project plan is the first thing you should do when undertaking any project.
Often project planning is ignored in favour of getting on with the work. However, many people fail to realise the value of a project plan for saving time, money and many problems.
The articles linked above, in this post provide a simple approach to basics of project planning. Someone who is interested in project management professional will find this guide quite useful, for experienced project manager, it will be a good refresher or back to basics reading of basics of project planning
Additional readings about project management, leadership
- Avoid These 10 Most Common Mistakes That Leads to Project Failure
- Transition of A Good To Great Project Manager
- Looking for a robust task management software: Best of Both Worlds: Gantt Chart + Kanban Board?
- Project Management Tool for Software/ IT Projects
- ZilicusPM Project Management Software for IT Teams
- 7 Reasons Why SMBs Prefer All In One Project Management Tool
ZilicusPM is a complete project management software for your team. Get started now!
Your life can be become easier with the right project management system.
Zilicus offers All-In-One project portfolio management software ZilicusPM that provides complete project management control for project and portfolio managers; at the same time makes it really simple for project team members to stay on top of things. If you have been managing projects with conventional spreadsheet/ MS Excel templates or emails, it is the right time to start using online project portfolio management software. ZilicusPM is great platform for better project collaboration. Take a screenshot tour of project management software tour of ZilicusPM and Sign up for 30-days free trial of project management software ZilicusPM