Are Your Ready To Be The Next Generation Project Manager
There are interesting stories of great project managers who turned around the project situation amazingly with their skills and experiences. Those who are transformed from Good to Great Project Managers, the capable ones, with-hands-on-experience can really bring the difference to the topline & bottomline performance of an organization. Now the business challenges are multi-fold and they are changing almost every day, questions one should be asking are: do we have such managers and in turn, are we ready for next generation project manager?
The fascinating part of project management is, organizations can benefit from it, in both: good as well as in bad business situations. When an organization grows, it needs project management professionals to streamline its project management processes and make the most of positive business momentum. And it is the sound project management processes and experience of project managers who can stir the ship out of bad weather. It is highly desirable for an organization to keep investing in such project management skills, exposing project manager/leaders to evolving business situations.
Let’s quickly look at changing landscape of business and evolving aspects in project management.
- Global PMO and Project Leadership
- Project Management and Internet of Things (IoT)
- Project Management and Innovation (pdf)
- Strategic Project Management (how to become a strategic project manager)
- Project Management and Business Sustainability
- Sustainability in Project Management
- Project Management and Global Business Operations
Looking at above list, one can imagine that business is expecting successful project results, it will necessarily have its leadership to understand importance of next generation project manager, get buy-in to invest. The leadership will have to commit its organizations to embrace such changes, impart training and expose project managers to different industry practices, business situations.
The project management for next generation project manager also means
- Strategic focus, strategic alignment of project management activities
- Exposure to & expertise of using new edge technologies: tools,
- Business skills, leadership traits and so on.
All of these, in turn mean organizations will have to develop/groom its project management professionals to lead in competitive environment.
- Talent Management: finding good project managers, leaders
- Introducing new technologies & tools, training them
- Developing strategic outlook of PMO teams
- Re-investing Knowledge base / applying learning from the past
Additional readings about project management, leadership
- Pulse of the Profession by Project Management Institute
- PMO and Delivering Strategic Initiatives by Protiviti
- Whether Your Organization Needs PMO
- Top 4 Goals for Project Manager,
- Essentials of Software Project Management
Have something to add, do let us know.
Zilicus offers enterprise project management software ZilicusPM that provides complete project management control for project and portfolio managers; at the same time makes it really simple for project team members to stay on top of things. If you have been managing projects with conventional spreadsheet/ MS Excel templates or emails, it is the right time to start using online project portfolio management software. ZilicusPM is great platform for better project collaboration. Take a screenshot tour of project management software ZilicusPM and Sign up for 30-days free trial of project management software Zili