The Week That Was: In Project Management and Managing Remote Teams
After a brief hiatus I got the opportunity to look at what is keeping world readers engaged about project management, productivity, leadership. Let’s look at some of those interesting articles.
Bruce Harpham of PMI Southern Ontario Chapter has written about the mistakes that happens while managing remote project teams.
Bruce has pointed out that managing remote teams is (now) and will be the must-have skill for project managers, given the number of international projects and cross regional project teams working on projects have increased. So it is important to understand the mistakes that happen while managing remote teams, so that one can perform better. Bruce has listed six mistakes that project managers should note.
- A transactional mindset
- Excessive dependence of email and written communication
- Not taking cognisance of silence at other ends
- Treating escalations as “Business as Usual”
- Ignoring weak collaboration capabilities
- Weak risk management
It is must read article for project managers. Do have a look at it.
- Creating Better Understanding of Working as a Remote Team
- Establishing Organisational Support for such Environment
Andy has pointed that correctly: there are different factors that drive individual project team members. Understanding such driving factor for an individual is relatively easier and can be straight forward in a colocated environment. However it is challenging for a project manager to do such assessment or take appropriate actions if the team is dispersed or working remotely. He puts it this way ”project manager needs to understand the strengths and development opportunities of each of their remote team members”
Here is a good guide to scrum, one of the most popular agile project management methodology or framework. Using this framework, one can learn various scrum terms, using scrum methodology in software and NPD kinds of projects.
Some of the questions mentioned below, this guide will help you answering those.
- What is scrum agile project management?
- Why does scrum agile project management matter?
- Who does scrum agile project management affect?
- When is scrum agile project management happening?
- How do I use scrum agile project management?.
For more information about scrum project management refer the guide,
Additional readings about project management, leadership
- Case Study: What Happens When Project Team Has Dual Reporting
- Avoid These 10 Most Common Mistakes That Leads to Project Failure
- Back2Basics: Ultimate Project Management Guide: Project Planning
- 8 Reasons to Decide Whether Your Organization Needs Project Management Office
- Compare the best project management software
- All in one project management software
Your life can be become easier with the right project management system. ZilicusPM is the right PM tool for you and your team. Get started now.
- Gantt Chart
- Time Tracking
- Budgeting and Cost Management
- Resource Planning and Management
- Issue Tracking
- Risk Management
- Change Management
- Meeting Management
- Stakeholder Management
- Project Portfolio Management
- Project Reporting
- Document Management to help you manage and deliver projects better?
Zilicus offers All-In-One online project management software ZilicusPM that provides complete project management control for project and portfolio managers; at the same time makes it really simple for project team members to stay on top of things. If you have been managing projects with conventional spreadsheet/ Microsoft Excel templates or MS Project or emails, it is the right time to start using online project portfolio management software. ZilicusPM is great platform for better project collaboration. Take a screenshot tour of project management software tour of ZilicusPM and Sign up for 30-days free trial of project management software ZilicusPM